What is Probation

Students are placed on academic probation if their cumulative UC GPA falls below 2.0.

Students are also placed on academic probation if their "term" or semester UC GPA falls below 1.5 for one semester. (Your overall UC GPA may still be above a 2.0 but because of the results from one term, you will be considered a probationary student.)

How do I clear Probationary Status?

For students whose cumulative UC GPA is below a 2.0, the probationary period is one semester during which time the student must return to good standing by raising their cumulative UC GPA to a 2.0 by the end of the probationary semester. If students do not raise their overall UC GPA to at least a 2.0 by the end of the semester, they will be subject to dismissal. Most students who do not meet the conditions of their probation are dismissed.

Term Probation

Students whose "term" or semester GPA falls below 1.5 for one term, must attain a minimum of a 2.0 "term" GPA by the end of the following semester and an overall GPA of 2.0 or better. Students who do not attain this become subject to dismissal.

The College of Letters and Science encourages students who have been placed on term probation to seek advising at the Office of Undergraduate Advising for help with schedule planning and to discuss any issues that may have caused poor results in the first place. Although this web site may be helpful to you, it is primarily designed to assist probationary students whose cumulative grade point average has fallen below a 2.0.

What Dismissal Means

When students are unable to improve their academic performance and meet the conditions of their probation (described above), they will be subject to dismissal from the University. Students under this status are usually dismissed by the College. Students in dismissal status may not continue their studies in the College of Letters and Science. They may decide to pursue their education at another institution or may pursue other interests. Dismissal status is considered permanent, however, some students elect to attend another educational institution, work to improve their academic performance and request special permission to return to UC Berkeley. While this may be an option, the Dean will only consider readmission after dismissal if a student demonstrates tangible readiness to return by significantly improving academic performance and demonstrated ability to focus on a specific attainable academic course of study. A College adviser will be able to discuss these and other options with students.

Policies and Regulations for Probationary Students

  • While on probation, you are not eligible to take a class P/NP if the course is also offered for a letter grade. You may enroll in a course that is only offered Passed/Not Passed such as Educ 98, ES 98, etc.
  • Repeating grades of "D+" or lower is usually a good idea. However, (a) you are limited to 12 units of repeats; (b) you may repeat a course ONLY ONCE; and (c) the SECOND grade replaces the original grade, even if the second grade is LOWER.
  • Repeating "NP" on a letter-graded basis will not help you clear probation unless you earn a grade above "C", so do not plan to repeat "NP" until after you have returned to good academic standing.
  • Outstanding grades of Incomplete should not be ignored; speak with an L&S adviser about how to handle "I" grades. Incompletes will lapse to "F" or "NP" regardless of your registration status.
  • Students on probation may withdraw from a semester through the last day of instruction. An academic adviser at the College of Letters and Science will be able to discuss this option with you. If you withdraw by the end of the 8th week of instruction you will be eligible to return the following semester as a "continued on probation" student. If you withdraw after the 8th week deadline you may be subject to the "semester out" rule which will require that you sit out for one term after withdrawal.
  • You may be eligible for a reduced course load. If you are working 15 or more hours of paid employment per week, are a parent, have disabilities, or unusual family responsibilities, you may request a reduced course load. However, if you receive financial aid, you should contact that office to determine how a reduced course load will have an impact on your current or future aid.
  • You may decide to take some time off. If you attend another college outside the UC system, be aware that those grades will not be computed into the UCB GPA upon re-admission. "D" or "F" grades at Berkeley cannot be repeated at another college outside the UC system. (Note: XB and XBW course work taken through UC Extension is an exception. Please consult a College Adviser before enrolling.)

Find out how to e-mail us with academic advising questions.

Send comments about this site to ">ls-web@berkeley.edu

Copyright © | The Regents of the University of California | Updated: